The table and photos below show all the gear I thought I would be taking on my Te Araroa trip. After publishing this post but before heading to New Zealand I took out bits and pieces to save on weight and swapped different pieces along the trail. By no means ultralight it is light weight and is gear that works for me. My average base weight was around 11kg plus consumables (food, water, gas etc…)
If you want to lighten up your load but don’t know how are or looking for some tips check out backpackinglight.com
- Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisper down jacket (black)
- Montne wind jacket (orange)
- Fleece pullover (blue) – has been removed from list
- Icebreaker thermals
- Thinsulate gloves
- Icebreaker beanie
Gear update: what changed along the way
- Swapped out xlite sleeping mat to Thermasrest Neo Air. Sleeping mat was fine for a couple of weeks but bulky and I found I needed better comfort for a 4 month trip.
- Monopole left at home
- Double boiler gear, spatula and silicon mold sent home
- Switched to gas cooker. Found cat food can stove and metho just not cutting it for me.
- Mug didn’t make the cut and was left at home.
- Switched to a smaller pot, send the original home.
- Ditched the rain skirt. Ok for showers but useless in driving, heavy rain.
- Sent liner socks home.
- Switched sleeping socks for much smaller, lighter pair.
- Fleece pull over never made it into the pack and was left at home.
- Visor switched to Outdoor Research Sun Runner for better sun protection and detachable neck cover.